Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Poke me and prod me: you'll not get what you seek

I've always been very interested in the way corporations test their 'new hires'. Though I speak from a thoroughly arrogant view point (obviously) it always seems that they are more interested in ensuring you can regurgitate memorized fact as opposed to teaching us how to think critically in respect to our on-going contact with our customers.

In the past 3 years in my 'corporate' life, I've not been impressed with the testing program. Now this is where the arrogance comes in. I knew you were expecting this.

I always do very, very well on what these corps try to pass off as 'testing'. Normally a multiple choice exam with absolutely absurd options for the three 'wrong' answers and the correct answer standing out on the page like it's circled in red. I always know I'm going to do well on these but the surprising thing is that there are people who invariably fall below the 80% threshold that indicates a pass.

It's quite obvious that the interview process invests more time in discovering if a person is malleable enough to be brainwash…. Errr I mean 'molded' into the correct corporate shape that said corporation is looking for and not enough on brain-power. Quite surprising really since we're told that if we fail a quiz, below the 80% mark, we get one re-write. If we fail the second, apparently that's the end of our Rogers career.

I must be one smart sumbitch. ;-)

No comments: