Tuesday, August 23, 2005

(EVE) War is Hell!

EVE, for those of you not up to date on the subject, is an online MMORPG. You get onto a server and get to interact, in good and bad ways, with thousands of other people playing the same game you are. This leads to some really great social interaction. If, of course, you can call sitting in front of your computer chatting madly with other people sitting in front of their computers as a social activity. I prefer to call it as much so let me continue.

I renewed my subscription today, using Paypal (great service!), I logged in and dispensed a hearty 'Hello!' to all the Corporation (think Guild and you've got the right idea) members on this morning. My greeting was returned by telling me that we were at war and to watch my back as I flew through the different sectors. Reason for this is that when you are at war any member of the opposing Corporation can take a shot at you anytime anywhere. When not at war, you have to abide by many rules about who you can shoot at. In all the time I've played Eve I've not had to deal with one pirate or smacktard PvP'er because of those rules.

I've never been big on PvP, Player versus Player, combat. Too many dicks out there with too much time on their hands. They spend all day getting far better than me at PvP and when they put their crosshairs on you, it's a done deal.

The reason I spent the past three paragraphs describing some of EVE's combat system with you is because I spent the better part of three hours blockaded inside a station. Three.... fucking.... hours. I was leaving the station and was immediately fired on by a few of the opposing Corp's members. Fearing destruction in my hauler that had NO guns on it, I immediately docked back at the station and the waiting began.

They all stayed in the same sector as me and, I suppose, wanted me to come out and supply them with an easy target. At this point I would have been the only target for them as my Corporation is almost exclusively UK based. As a result I am almost always alone between 8 - 12 PM MST. That's what makes this whole war thing so difficult. I don't have anyone to call on if I need an assist.

Bottome line (literally and figuratively) is that being part of this Corp at this point in time is just very dangerous, frustrating and I don't know how long I'll be able to do it. :-(

No comments: