Friday, September 02, 2005

I Told You So....

How many posts in the last week? See? Loss of interest. However, couple things to add....

I have a couple of jobs. Yes, I said a couple. They are both part time, they both pay far below what I think I am worth and they, for the most part, completely suck. Even if one sucks less than the other they still both suck. Suck, I say.

One job, which I will attempt to keep anonymous, is basically sitting at a desk for hours on end attempting to call people and have them do a survey. Now, it's not sales. No sales are involved in the operation whatsoever which makes it less deplorable than it could have been. Nevertheless, getting strangers on the phone to discuss how they like a certain brand of toothpaste leaves a very bad taste in my mouth. To add insult to injury they forced me to come in and do an enormously painful training session which was unpaid and utterly retarded. I know how to talk on the phone; is it necessary to discuss the different nuances of how to properly hang up said phone? Christ on a crutch.......

However, two other events took place that same day so I can't call it a complete write-off:
  1. The recruiter from Rogers called and confirmed that they wanted me to come in for the next training session available, which was going to be on the 16 of September but was only for a part time position. I explained, politely, that I really only wanted full time and wouldn't be able to take the position. Now here's the kicker: I asked how long it normally took for an excellent part time employee to be offered a full time position? He explained that when you are hired on for part time you stay part time for at least 18 months, maybe 2 years. So after some more explaination he then said the next full time intake was 24th of October. Yes, children, two ... bloody... months. I told him to put my name down and I'd contact him if anything else came up. Good guy, would love to post his name but I'll keep him anon since I don't know him that well.
  2. The second event that occured was that Shaw called in regards to their tech support position I had applied for.
Do not judge the importance, or how happy it makes me, of each point by the length of which I explain it. For though the first point does indeed fill me with joy, the second point, the more succint point, the point with but 20 words in it, is indeed what warms me to the very core of my being.

I love Shaw. Loved them for a long time until I started working for their competition (Telus, do a google for it and check out that labor dispute) and they offered me a very good price on 2.5 Mb/s ADSL line. It was then when I changed my inet provider to the Dark Tower.

Aside: I really, really, really like the system Shaw use for their customers when they are calling in to the office. If the wait seems like it might be longer than a customer would care to hold for before reaching a rep, it offers to take their phone number and call them back while still maintaining their position in line. Now why can't the bloody phone company get something like that in place? Oh Right the CRTC. Anyways...

I'm going in to Shaw's offices tomorrow to get some testing done. I guess they want to ensure I know how to turn on a computer and perhaps even what a mouse and keyboard are. I'm confident without being arrogant. My wife says that I'm sometimes arrogant that way. I'm trying to grow as a person so I'll just say I'm confident. And excited. I've heard such good things about working for Shaw it just makes me incredibly happy to think all the mental abuse piled on to me by past companies may indeed heal with time. Time and a discount on Shaw Extreme Speed Cable Internet service. Rate Protection Plan be damned!

Also I have another interview tomorrow. This one is for a Skip Tracer position. I've no experience so I'm not sure how it will go. I'm up to the task of learning though so that's something else positive to add to my 'I was a good little boy in a past life and that's why this is happening to me' karma bucket. Yay me!

Oh. And gas is currently 1.14 CDN per litre last time I checked. Strange but I thought the fact that we pumped that black stuff out of the ground here would save us some pain. Guess I was wrong. Ahhh the good old days of 35 cents a litre.

No comments: